Recipe by Chuck in Killbuck
My kids used to love sitting around the campfire and making these things. They would have two pie irons going all the time. Often times we didn't have Pepperoni and they would use ham or other meats and mushroom pieces. Cooking time will vary from 3-5 minutes usually. Be sure to turn often and check the bread often after 2-3 minutes. Once your iron is hot they will cook quickly.
Top Review by * Pamela *
Thanks for reminding me of this awesome camping treat! My family camped almost every weekend when I was growing up and this was a favourite of my sister and I. We always had pepperoni and quite often we would have ham and pineapple as well. Pie irons are the greatest thing, eh? Thanks Chuck for this super camping recipe!
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter one side of two slices of bread.
- Place one slice of bread on your pie iron with buttered side down.
- Top with 1 1/2 tablespoons of pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni.
- Place other slice of bread on top with buttered side out.
- Place pie iron on hot coals.
- Turn often until bread is toasted.