Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a super fast, delicious recipe. My mother made it when I was young and now I serve it to my husband. You may use boneless chicken in place of pork.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder on the chops.
- Heat a skillet and add oil to coat.
- Brown the chops on each side from 5-10 minutes depending on thickness,Cook until juices run clear then remove from pan.
- Add can of soup and water to the hot pan and stir Sprinkle in rosemary Heat until boiling.
- Put chops back in and cover Cook another 5 minutes on low.
- Serve with mashed potatoes as the gravy is YUMMY!
My mother made this for us growing up. As a bachelor it's one of the few recipes I can make that impresses female dates. It's a showstopper!
My mom used pork chops but I use boneless chicken breasts. Safer choice -- some people don't eat pork but everybody eats chicken.
When I season the meat, I use salt, pepper, garlic -- but instead of rosemary I use Italian seasoning with rosemary in it. Nice blend of spices.
I season the meat, and brown it in oil. then I put it in the pot of Golden Mushroom gravy and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Finishes cooking the meat and the seasoning flavors the gravy too.
Serve by ladling some of the gravy over the chicken and also with mashed potatoes. The gravy is delicious! I use at least two cans of soup because people always want seconds of the mashed potatoes and gravy.
(Do NOT use rice -- only mashed potatoes works with this recipe. Trust me on this. Here's why: with rice, it's just "OK", with mashed potatoes, it's great. I've tried both, I've had friends try both. Rice is just not as good. However, you can use instant mashed potatoes! One friend LOVED my dish, then tried to make it for her parents and she said it didn't turn out as good as when I made it for her. Under questioning she admitted she used rice -- even though I specifically told her not to. It's just not the same.)
Also when ladling the gravy, don't just scoop from the top of the pot. The mushrooms tend to sink to the bottom during the simmering -- so go down deep to find them! :)
I'm glad this recipe is online for others to enjoy!
After I specifically said not to use rice, only mashed potatoes, someone else here said they used rice but then complained dish was not a "show stopper". Wonder why? They used rice. :)
Wonderful with a pinch of dried thyme and a little wine or dry sherry added to the gravy.
Don't miss this one!
I made this recipie last night and my husband loved it. Things I did different:
1. Cooked boneless chops (6) until golden brown in cooking oil that has the cloves of garlic sitting in it with a sprig of rosemary. I make this up from my garden. Basically it's garlic oil.
2. Cooked until nice dark golden brown, flip, and shake on salt pepper and the garlic powder again, like in the directions, but I added TWO beef bullion cubes to it for extra flavor. Wow
3. I did not have golden mushroom soup, only cream of celery, so ....
4. It worked just fine, and a can of water and...
5. cooked in a covered skillet pan for 1 hour for full tenderness.
I served it with 1/2 acorn squash each in brown sugar and a nice tossed salad and a roll. Yummy!