Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is such an easy recipe to prepare, and there are many variations (see directions). I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
- 10 3⁄4 ounces Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Stir the soup, water, rice, onion powder, black pepper and vegetables in an 11 x 8-inch (2-quart) shallow baking dish.
- Top with the chicken. Season the chicken as desired. Cover.
- Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Top with cheese. Let casserole stand for 10 minutes. Stir rice before serving.
- Try It Alfredo: Use 1/4 cup grated Parmesan for Cheddar cheese. Add 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese with soup. Use broccoli flowerets for vegetables. Top chicken with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Trim It Down: Use Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup instead of regular soup and use low fat cheese instead of regular cheese.
- Mexican: In place of onion powder and pepper use 1 teaspoon chili powder. Substitute Mexican cheese blend for Cheddar.
- Italian: In place of onion powder and pepper use 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed. Substitute 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan for Cheddar.
- Let stand 10 minutes prior to serving.
I"m giving this 5-stars due to the ease of the prep work. This was my go to recipe there for a while when I would come home from work with an infant & a school aged child who needed homework help. I love that it only takes a few minutes to prepare (more like dump everything in a dish) and then I have some time to work on something else until dinner is done. I've also been able to get in a good workout while dinner is baking in the oven. Gotta love that! Based on taste I would proably only give it 3-4 stars. I haven't tried the varations yet but my yougest will be going to kindergarten soon and I'm sure the homework will pick up again so I'll have to fall back on this recipe yet again & try the varations so we don't get bored. Oh, and I leave out the veggies since hubby doesn't like veggies in his casseroles. I serve them on the side instead.
It's not gourmet, but it tastes pretty darn good and it's beyond simple to make. I always need to cook this longer than the recipe states. Usually an hour to an hour and 20 minutes - otherwise the rice doesn't cook through.I also add a bit more rice and water as I'm a real rice lover. I use frozen corn and occasionally lima beans as my veggies. I love how you just throw everything into the casserole dish and pop it in the oven. Easy. Tasty. Best of all, my 3 year old loves this. Winner in my book.
Although this tasted great, I bumped it up to five stars just because it was so dang easy to make. I might have baked mine for closer to an hour though just to make sure the rice was done ( I forgot to cover mine!) and I wanted to melt the cheese faster. Thanks!