Recipe by TheDancingCook
After fooling around, I have come up with the perfect tasting homemade version to this classic canned soup! At the age of 35, this is my favorite "feel better" soup when I come down with a cold. The ABC's are fun for the kids too! If you don't want to go vegetarian, use beef broth instead of vegetable broth or a combo of both.
Top Review by Assia
I enjoy this! It's a yummy comfort food. I did add a bit of seasoning salt. However, I'm really confused by the previous reviewer's question because I'm relatively sure you intended to use both oregano and basil...?
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables (diced carrots, corn, peas, green beans, lima beans, diced potatoes)
- 6 ounces vegetable juice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta, uncooked (pastina would work also)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine vegetable broth, veggies, juice, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta; add cooked pasta to soup and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.