Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
After fooling around, I have come up with the perfect tasting homemade version to this classic canned soup! At the age of 35, this is my favorite "feel better" soup when I come down with a cold. The ABC's are fun for the kids too! If you don't want to go vegetarian, use beef broth instead of vegetable broth or a combo of both.
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables (diced carrots, corn, peas, green beans, lima beans, diced potatoes)
- 6 ounces vegetable juice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta, uncooked (pastina would work also)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine vegetable broth, veggies, juice, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta; add cooked pasta to soup and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
This is the closest one to the classic alphabet soup. I used different spices. Parsley and thyme instead of basil and oregano. The Campbells kitchen site seems to prefer that combination in their vegetable soup recipes and it is less bitter. For the person who could not find the ABC pasta. I found it in the Mexican ailse, along with sazon seasoning which I also added to the soup. I did as suggested and did half vegetable and half beef stock. I added a diced potato as well. It was a little too salty for me with the broths and sazon so I added water to dilute the salt.
I enjoy this! It's a yummy comfort food. I did add a bit of seasoning salt. However, I'm really confused by the previous reviewer's question because I'm relatively sure you intended to use both oregano and basil...?
Super easy and really quite good. I used orzo since ABCs are hard to find. BUT the recipe is unclear -- should I use oregano or basil????????