Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't tried this yet, but I found it in a cookbook from the church I grew up in. Marilyn Weldon writes, "[In] the early seventies, Camp Reynoldswood had a cook that was known for her brown bread. The last year she was there my mom went and got the recipe."
- 7 cups milk
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups molasses
- 14 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- Mix together sugar, oil, eggs, and molasses.
- Add the milk mixture, flour, salt, and baking soda a little at a time, alternating ingredients instead of putting in all of the milk, then all of the flour, etc.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.