Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a simple meal that's easy to fix and you don't have to have a ton of ingredients to mess with. Seasoning can be fun here too depending on the meat you use. I've even used venison burger with this and it's great. Prep time is approx. as I never time anything when camping.
- 4 cups of shredded dried hash brown potatoes
- 2 packages onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs sausage
- assorted seasoning
- 6 cups water
- Brown the meat in the bottom of the pot breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Spoon out some of the fat.
- Add the water and soup mix stirring to mix.
- Heat to boiling and simmer a few minutes.
- Add the dry potatoes and stir to mix.
- Cover the pot and move to the edge of the fire for about 10 minutes to allow the potatoes to swell.
- Move the pot back on the heat and stir while cooking the potatoes.
- Cook about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Seasonings such as hot peppers, chili powder, basil, Italian seasonings are good.
- The meat may be hamburger, venison, sausage, Italian sausage, or other of your choice.
- Different meats provide a different flavor.
- This hash can be made for an evening meal or a breakfast.
- Note- a package of Golden Grill Hash Brown dried potatoes provides for three recipes of Camp Hash.
LOL, I was given a large pkg. of the Golden Grill dried shredded hash brwon potatoes and wondered...What on earth do I do with these? Well, I also have vension sausage in the freezer, onions, fresh bell peppers from the garden and Lipton Onion Soup Mix in the pantry. I browned the vension sausage in the bottom of the pot, adding in some chopped bell pepper and onion, cooking until they were crisp tender, draining some of the fat from the sausage as indicated, added the water and the potatoes, letting them refresh as it states on the pkg, and added a little salt and pepper and served the hash with eggs and buttered toast. It was sooo good and everyone loved it. Thanks for sharing!