1 hr 10 mins
We go camping a lot and this is one dessert that the kids (and adults) LOVE for me to make over the camp fire. This is not low fat or sugar free! It's super rich and buttery. I make this in an 8 quart cast iron dutch oven, no joke it makes a LOT. It's great with ice cream or whipped cream on top. I sort of adapted it from several cobbler recipes. Note: I've used fresh peaches too,about ten med peaches, just cook them over the stove after you peel and slice them, with the nutmeg and cinnamon 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups sugar, until they are soft and make a syrup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put dutch oven over enough coals to heat it up, but not too much to make it smokin hot.
- 2Add butter sticks and melt. Remove dutch oven from heat for now.
- 3Make batter by mixing Bisquick, milk, sugar, 1 teaspoon each of the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 4Spoon batter over the butter- DO NOT STIR TOGETHER.
- 5Open peaches (DON"T DISCARD THE SYRUP) and stir in rest of nutmeg and cinnamon to peach and syrup mixture.
- 6Spoon gently peach and syrup mixture over batter- don't worry the peaches will drop to bottom as the batter rises.
- 7Close lid, return the dutch oven to coals and put a few coals on top of lid, baking until crust has a nice golden and delicious look and toothpick comes out clean. Depending on the heat of your fire it should take 45- 90 minutes.
- 8You might want to check the cobbler a few times to make sure sure have just the right amount of coals -- it should not boil, but bubble gently.
- 9The cast iron will keep the cobbler warm while you eat. I reccommend that you eat warm, but cold is OK too.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Camp Fire Easy Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.5
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.2 mg
- Sodium 237.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 36.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g