I found this recipe in a package of Ocean Mist Artichokes from Costco. I have not made the recipe as yet, but I thought it sounded interesting enough to post. It's something a little different to do with artichokes. It is difficult to estimate the cooking time because the chokes are first steamed, then grilled. The cooking time listed is for the steaming process which is variable as is the grilling time. It seems like it would be a fun summertime side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 artichokes
- 4 tablespoons barbecue seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- non-fat cooking spray, butter flavored
- 1Cooking these artichokes is a two step process.
- 2First trim the stems flat and the tops about one inch.
- 3Then trim the tips of the petals with scissors.
- 4Steaming process:.
- 5Steam them stem side up using a steamer rack about 30 to 45 minutes or until the base of the stem is tender. This will depend on the size of the chokes. The ones that came with this recipe are HUGE so it might take these a little longer.
- 7Once the campfire or backyard grill is hot, gently spread the petals of the cooked artichokes and generously spray each one with non-fat cooking spray. Make sure spray gets between petals. Generously dust each arichoke with 1 tablespoon of mesquite seasoning or taco seasoning, followed by a half a teaspoon of garlic salt. Place cooked artichokes directly on grill. Turn frequently until outside petals are evenly charred.
- 8According to the recipe, there is no need for dipping sauces, since they have a wonderful smoky flavor. However, I think I will have some on hand, just in case.
- 9Once you get to the heart of the choke, remove it along with any spiny petals with a spoon.
Browse Our Top Camping Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Camping Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Camp Fire Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 120.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: