1/1 Photo of Camp Chili, Tom-Style
2 hrs 45 mins
This recipe originally came from a calendar, Tom has adjusted it and changed it and this is what emerged. Of course, he never makes the same chili twice, so this recipe is very forgiving... you can do almost anything to it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 large red onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 3 dried red chilies, roasted 1 minute and minced (or chili powder, to taste)
- 1 3/4 cups water (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup cornflour (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1Heat oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium heat, add onions and cook until they are translucent.
- 2Combine the beef with the garlic, minced chili, cumin, brown sugar and oregano.
- 3Add meat and spices to pot with onions.
- 4Break up any lumps with a fork and continue to cook.
- 5Add tomato sauce, water and salt.
- 6Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- 7Stir in the corn flour/water to achieve desired consistency.
- 8Cook 15 minutes longer, stirring. The longer you let it cook, the more flavorful it becomes.
- 9Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 10Serve over rice or with crackers.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Camp Chili, Tom-Style
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1271.4
- Calories from Fat 715
- Total Fat 79.4 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 317.6 mg
- Sodium 3878.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 93.9 g