Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe originally came from a calendar, Tom has adjusted it and changed it and this is what emerged. Of course, he never makes the same chili twice, so this recipe is very forgiving... you can do almost anything to it!
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 large red onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 3 dried red chilies, roasted 1 minute and minced (or chili powder, to taste)
- 1 3⁄4 cups water (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup cornflour (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium heat, add onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Combine the beef with the garlic, minced chili, cumin, brown sugar and oregano.
- Add meat and spices to pot with onions.
- Break up any lumps with a fork and continue to cook.
- Add tomato sauce, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Stir in the corn flour/water to achieve desired consistency.
- Cook 15 minutes longer, stirring. The longer you let it cook, the more flavorful it becomes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve over rice or with crackers.