Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I received this recipe during a cold, rainy Girl Scout leaders camp training. There were more than twenty of us moms and one brave dad. He was the one who shared this deliscious recipe that warmed us all up.
- 2 lbs chicken
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) package flour tortillas, cut into 1 X 2 inch pieces
- Place chicken parts, water, broth, onion, celery seed and pepper in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil, allow to boil until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken pieces from broth and allow to cool.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle pick off bones and return to broth (or dice if meat is boneless).
- Add milk and butter to broth mixture, allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tortilla strips into broth chicken mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Simmer until mixture thickens to desired consistency.
- Can be cooked over an open fire in a dutch oven, or at home on a stovetop.