Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a delicious fruit salad that my mother made every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was the only time she made it so we always looked forward to it. It is all very simple ingredients and makes up quickly. Do allow for some chill time to allow the flavors to blend. The coconut (and cherries) are optional.
- 1 (4 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drain and reserve the juice
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 -2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 -2 banana, sliced
- Mix all ingredients together except the bananas, including a small amount of the reserved pineapple juice. Refrigerate for a good couple of hours.
- It is not necessary to use the whole jar of marschino cherries; I usually use maybe half. I show the amount of coconut as 1-2 cups as our family is split 50-50 on coconut so we always make 2 batches; one with coconut and one without. So if you are making only half a batch with coconut, use only 1 cup of the coconut.
- Just before serving, slice bananas and add to the salad.
Made this recipe as indicated, but was very satisfied with the various fruit flavors here ~ VERY, VERY NICE! However, instead of adding the banana to the entire salad, & sliced half a banana over the top of each serving! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]