Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you can not find the Cameo apple in you area just use another sweet-tart type of apple.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices thick bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional)
For the Apple Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cameo apples, peeled,cored,sliced
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together in large bowl.
- Soak bread slices in mixture for five minutes or until bread is saturated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Press each bread slice into nuts to coat, if desired.
- Cook 2 or 3 slices until golden brown on each side, turning once.
- Repeat with remaining bread slices and nuts, adding butter to skillet as needed.
- Serve hot with apple topping.
- Apple topping: Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat until melted.
- Add apples; cook five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine with brown sugar and cinnamon; cook two minutes more or until apples are slightly soft.