Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
This seemed like a very unusual recipe for an appetizer. Great presentation for company and not much work.
- 1 (8 ounce) camembert cheese, in a wooden box with a wooden lid (250 grams, see note)
- 2 medium tart apples
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped (see note)
- 20 dried apricots
- Line baking sheet with foil.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Remove Camembert from box; remove and discard paper enclosing cheese and any labels on the cheese.
- Return cheese to box and cover with lid. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake cheese in the box on center rack of preheated oven until top is very soft and gives no resistance when touched with your fingers, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Watch carefully, and after 14 to 15 minutes check cheese by removing lid and pressing on top of cheese with your fingers. (Some of cheese may start to ooze out of box onto baking sheet toward end of baking. Don't worry about this; the apple and apricot garnish will conceal any leaks.).
- While cheese is baking, core and halve, but do not peel, the apples.
- Cut each half into 1/4-inch or thicker slices.
- Toss slices with lemon juice in medium non-reactive bowl.
- When done, use metal spatula to slide boxed cheese onto serving plate. Remove lid.
- With sharp knife, make several cuts in top crust of cheese and stir in walnuts. Surround cheese with apple slices and apricots.
- To eat, spread warm cheese and nuts on fruit.
- Cheese and specialty food stores and some supermarkets sell Camembert cheese packaged in a wooden box.
- To toast walnuts, arrange a shelf at center position and preheat oven to 350º F.
- Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully so nuts do not burn. Remove and cool.