1 hr 10 mins
This is a brilliant bistro-style supper of mussels in creamy Camembert sauce with crusty hot tapenade bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the mussels
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 4 ounces smoked bacon lardons
- 1 leek, white only, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 lbs mussels, beards and barnacles removed
- 2/3 cup sweet apple cider
- 3 tablespoons calvados
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 12 ounces camembert cheese, rind removed and cut into pieces
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper, to taste
For the roasted garlic and tapenade bread
- 1Take a large saucepan with a lid (big enough to steam the mussels) and melt the butter over a high heat. Add the shallots, bacon lardons and leeks, and fry for 1 minute.
- 2Tip in the garlic, half the parsley, and the bay leaf and simmer for a few seconds. Add the mussels, cider, calvados, and cream; bring to the boil and cover.
- 3Lower the heat and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the mussels open. Cook for about 3 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- 4Strain the mussels, reserving the liquor. Pick all of the meat from the mussels and place into an earthenware dish. Bring the reserved liquor to simmering point and stir in the cheese until sauce has thickened.
- 5Pour the sauce over the mussels and garnish with the remaining chopped parsley and a grinding of cracked pepper.
- 6Meanwhile set the oven to 400F and slice both baguettes in half vertically. Slice, cutting only three quarters the way through the bread (as you would when making conventional garlic bread).
- 7Place the remaining ingredients into a food processor and blend together until smooth. Spread this mixture between the slices of baguette. Wrap each piece in kitchen foil and bake for 5 minutes. Serve hot with the camembert mussels.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Camembert Mussels With Tapenade Baguettes
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1691.6
- Calories from Fat 667
- Total Fat 74.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.9 g
- Cholesterol 260.2 mg
- Sodium 3848.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 150.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 101.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet apple cider