Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Appetizer from "First Impressions" by Betty Rosbottom. Can be prepared a day in advance and when ready, bake until crisp and serve. I guessed the time for this since I haven't made it yet.
- 226.79 g camembert cheese, with rind, cut into cubes at room temperature
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 44.37 ml walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 15 sheet phyllo dough, thawed (14 X 18)
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, melted (2 sticks)
- rosemary sprig (to garnish)
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cheese in a small bowl until smooth. Beat in the rosemary, cayenne pepper, and egg. Stir in the nuts.
- Butter 2 large baking sheets. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface. Keep the remainder of the phyllo covered with a slightly damp towel.
- Brush the phyllo sheet lightly with the melted butter. Top with a second phyllo sheet, brush lightly with butter, and top with a third phyllo sheet and brush lightly with butter.
- Cut the stacked phyllo lengthwise into 3 1/2 inch wide squares.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square. Gather the corners together over the center and crimp firmly to form "purses.".
- Transfer the purses to the prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Brush the tops lightly with butter.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo, butter and filling. Refrigerate the phyllo purses for at least 1 hour before baking.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 20-22 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Arrange on a serving platter garnished with rosemany sprigs.