Appetizer from "First Impressions" by Betty Rosbottom. Can be prepared a day in advance and when ready, bake until crisp and serve. I guessed the time for this since I haven't made it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces camembert cheese, with rind, cut into cubes at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 15 sheets phyllo dough, thawed (14 X 18)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted (2 sticks)
- rosemary sprig (to garnish)
- 1Using an electric mixer, beat the cheese in a small bowl until smooth. Beat in the rosemary, cayenne pepper, and egg. Stir in the nuts.
- 2Butter 2 large baking sheets. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface. Keep the remainder of the phyllo covered with a slightly damp towel.
- 3Brush the phyllo sheet lightly with the melted butter. Top with a second phyllo sheet, brush lightly with butter, and top with a third phyllo sheet and brush lightly with butter.
- 4Cut the stacked phyllo lengthwise into 3 1/2 inch wide squares.
- 5Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square. Gather the corners together over the center and crimp firmly to form "purses.".
- 6Transfer the purses to the prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Brush the tops lightly with butter.
- 7Repeat with the remaining phyllo, butter and filling. Refrigerate the phyllo purses for at least 1 hour before baking.
- 8When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 20-22 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 9Arrange on a serving platter garnished with rosemany sprigs.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Camembert and Walnut Phyllo Bundles
Serving Size: 1 (13 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.6
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 67.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.5 g