Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
While travelling in the States last summer, my kids and I developed an addiction to Moose Tracks ice cream. (DH isn't much of an ice cream lover) Unfortunately, we can't get Moose Tracks here in Israel... so I decided to concoct my own version. Here's the recipe, my DD came up with the name. Karen=..=, thanks for your wonderful recipe, we love Reese's Squares!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter cup, chopped into chunks (or use Karen's =^..^= "Reese's Square's" Reeses Squares - 5 Ingredients & No Bake (Reese's))
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for approximately 7 minutes, until almost boiling Lightly beat the yolks in a small bowl.
- Whisk while gradually adding 1 cup of the hot mixture into the yolks.
- Whisk the yolks back into the hot mixture.
- Microwave on HIGH for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk the mixture every 30 seconds while cooking.
- NOTE: be very careful, if overcooked this mixture will turn into scrambled eggs!
- To check if the custard is sufficiently cooked, dip a spoon into the custard.
- Draw your finger across the back of the spoon, you should see the path of your finger drawn through the custard.
- Mix the vanilla and coffee into the custard (you can dissolve the coffee in a small amount of boiling water).
- Chill the custard well.
- Freeze the chilled custard in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Add the chunks of Reese's Squares or peanut butter cups during final 2 minutes of freezing.
This was really good! I wish the coffee flavor was a little more prominent, so I will add more next time and add some chocolate rippes possibly. I used 2 cups cream and 1 cup skim milk, whole cup of chopped peanut buttter cups. We're drizzling on chocolate and more peanut butter cups, too. :) Thanks, CardaMom!