Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My entire family loves this dish. I grill thick salmon steaks in a grill pan, but it can be cooked on a barbecue, or sauteed in a cast iron skillet. I have made this with whole tilapias and with halibut. I have seasoned the fish with Old Bay and once with a fish rub instead of the salt and pepper. You can actually use just about any kind of fish you like, as long as it will hold its shape after cooking. Once, I only had 2 shallots on hand, so I used 1 small red onion along with the 2 shallots. I have used 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely, when out of Thai chilies. When out of fresh ginger, I have used 1 1/2 Tbsp of jarred, pickled ginger, chopped. No tomatoes? leave them out. You can use apple cider vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar. As you can see, this dish is very forgiving. I cook the topping in a separate skillet alongside and it is ready right as the fish is. This meal cooks up in 10 minutes, looks and tastes great.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 -2 Thai red chili pepper, cut in half
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and julienned finely
- 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- cilantro leaf, for garnish
- In a measuring cup, mix together the fish sauce, vinegar, water, sugar, paprika and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Season fish with salt and pepper.
- Put 1 tbsp oil in hot grill pan or cast iron skillet. Add fish. Cook over med heat until about half done and then turn once to cook other side.
- Meanwhile, put 2 tbsp oil into a large hot skillet or wok. Add shallots and stir until slightly softened.
- Add garlic, chili and ginger, stir 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and let cook, stirring a few times, until tomatoes look slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir sauce in cup and pour over vegetable mixture. Stir. It will thicken in about 30 seconds. Cook 1 minute.
- Place fish on platter.
- Pour vegetable sauce mixture over fish.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Fantastic fish recipe!! Made exactly as written, and we enjoyed it so much. Thanks for sharing this winner!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 Family Picks for The Apron String Travelers