Wonderful Asian flavors in this salad! I have doubled the sauce recipe so there's plenty to spoon over the veggies. From Martha Stewart Living, March 1996.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped (or 1-inch piece galangal if you can find it-can use frozen ginger)
- 4 -5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3/4-1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks (about 1/2 pound)
- 7 scallions, cut into 2-inch slivers
- 3 red italian frying bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (about 11 ounces, or 2 bell peppers)
- 1 head boston lettuce, shredded (8 ounces)
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1Place tofu between two layers of paper towel on a dish. Place a baking sheet over tofu, and set a heavy book on top of baking sheet to weight tofu so it releases excess water; let stand about 30 minutes.
- 2Combine ginger, garlic, jalapeno, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, remove from heat, and set aside.
- 3Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt and beans; cook until beans are just tender and bright green, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain beans, and transfer immediately to a large bowl of ice water. When chilled, drain again, and pat dry.
- 4Distribute beans, carrots, scallions, red peppers, lettuce, and mint evenly among six plates.
- 5Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, and cook until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- 6Add ginger mixture, toss to coat tofu, and cook about 1 minute more.
- 7Spoon tofu and sauce over vegetables, sprinkle with peanuts, and serve.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cambodian Style Tofu Salad
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.2
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 744.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar