1/1 Photo of Cambodian-Style Fish Poached in Coconut Milk
This recipe was featured in our local paper and is a Kylie Kwong and from her cookbook It Tastes Better and her intro to the recipe was "I love this recipe because it is quick and simple to make, yet so exotic in flavour. The galangal, turmeric and kaffir lime leaves add that gorgeous earthy, aromatic flavour so particular to South-East Asian cuisine, and the taste and texture of fish cooked gently in coconut milk are sublime. If you like, you can substitute the fish with any other seafood, or even chicken."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g fish (firm, white fleshed cut into 2cm chunks)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 red onion (small, roughly chopped)
- 3 cm galangal (fresh, peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 lemongrass (stalks trimmed and finely sliced)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (finely sliced or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 400 g coconut milk
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemon (juice of)
- 1Place garlic, red onion, galangal, lemongrass, turmeric, paprika, fish sauce and brown sugar in a blender and process until finely blended.
- 2Add the coconut milk and process until thoroughly blended.
- 3Transfer the coconut mixture to a heavy pased pan.
- 4Crush the kaffir lime leaves in your hand to release their aroma, and add them to the pan.
- 5Bring the coconut mixture to the boil and reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes, to allow the flavour to infuse and the liquid to reduce slightly.
- 6Add the fish chunks and poach gently for 4-5 minutes.
- 7Stir through the lemon juice, then trasfer to serving bowls.
Browse Our Top Cambodian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cambodian-Style Fish Poached in Coconut Milk
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.7
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 37.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1445.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves