Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Authentic mexican dish from GourmetSleuth. Posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, fresh crushed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Toast the anise seed and cumin seed on a dry, hot large sauté pan, shaking the pan constantly, until fragrant, for about 1 minute.
- Set aside.
- Add vegetable oil, until rippling over high heat.
- Add the scallions and garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the tomato, chile and cilantro, stirring well to incorporate, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the anise seed, cumin and oregano and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the shrimp and cook for approximately 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until pink.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.