Recipe by CrazyInMaine
I got this recipe from one of my friend's Mexican Cookbooks. Another friend tried it first and made a few changes with the amounts and extra spices. And I've added some of my own changes. The end result is wonderful. I usually have all these ingredients on hand. It's a quick recipe. I put the jasmine rice in my rice cooker and by the time the rice is done, so is the shrimp and sauce.
Top Review by Cajun_Cherry
WOW...... I've made this recipe several times for many happy people. The recipe is really quick and easy. Simple and yet very very tasty. I didn't change a thing! GREAT recipe! Thanks so much for posting!
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- lemon zest
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- fresh chives (optional)
- 5 cups cooked rice (I use Jasmine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell, de-vein and rinse shrimp, drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in skillet(I use a wok) over medium-high heat and saute onions and garlic.
- Add the Shrimp and cook until mostly pink.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice from one lemon and stir. Cook for about a minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, mustard, chili powder, paprika and cumin. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until hot.
- You can place cooked rice on individual plates and shrimp mixture over or you can combine them together in one pan and serve.
- Top with fresh chives if desired.