Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I saw this posted today on the Cooking Channel blog and I REALLLLLY want to try it so I'm posting it here for safe keeping. I love chipotle anything anything and I love shrimp so I figured this one will be a winner!
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Mexican crema or 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo
- salt and pepper
- shrimp broth (optional)
- Using a food processor or blender, combine cream and chiles, adding chipotles a little at a time to taste, and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the green onion, garlic, and salt until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook covered, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook, an additional 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and simmer, covered until they begin to turn pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth if additional liquid is needed. Add the chipotle cream and heat until cooked through, an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, over rice, or with avocado.
- Notes: To make broth, combine reserved shells with 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Strain and use broth as needed to add liquid to the dish or thin the cream sauce to desired consistency.