Recipe by Member #610488
This is a family recipe from the owners of Los Taquitos, in Phoenix, Arizona.
- 4 cups water
- 5 whole tomatoes
- 2 medium red onions, divided
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) canned chipotle peppers
- 24 ounces ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lbs shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 cups cooked white rice or 10 cups cooked mexican style rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water, tomatoes, half an onion, and garlic cloves in a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat and let sit to cool for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and add the chipotle, ketchup and salt. Blend for approximately 30 seconds.
- Mince the remaining one and a half onions. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until golden brown.
- Stir in the shrimp and garlic salt and cook for 2 minutes. Pour sauce over shrimp and let simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve over rice.