Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great HOT shrimp dish. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 6 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken consomme or 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 ancho chilies or 2 poblano peppers
- 1 anaheim chili, seeds and veins removed
- 2 serrano peppers or 2 habaneros
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup catsup (optional)
- 1 anaheim chili, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Cook the peppers in a small amount of water and grind them in a blender with the tomatoes and whole garlic clove. Strain and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the butter and oil and sauté the minced garlic and onion until the onion is translucent.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they turn bright pink, then add the consommé and Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sauce (and the catsup now if you choose), cover and simmer for a few minutes, then add the white wine and allow to simmer a few minutes more.
- Sauté the chili strips in the oil for a few minutes, remove and drain, then use as a garnish.
This dish had amazing flavor! We like hot and spicy foods, so I actually used 2 1/2 serranos (next time, I'd use 3),then I followed the recipe for the other peppers (I used poblano vs. ancho). Then, I added cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper, and it still wasn't "hot", but it had a great, rich taste and a nice kick. I used one whole sweet onion, and I did add the full amount of catsup. I served it with yellow, spanish rice, refried beans and fresh tortillas. I just can't say enough about the wonderful flavor of this sauce and the shrimp! This is definitely our new fave shrimp dish!
Just made this for Christmas Eve Dinner. What a treat! this is excellent. I changed the peppers and only used one serrano pepper (I do not like it that spicy) but is was great!
This was delicious! I also added some roasted poblano chiles to the mixture, but omitted the serrano chiles because I cannot handle too much chile. Definitely will make this again!