Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from http://www.islandflave.com. Posted for ZWT7.
- 1 lb large shrimp, pealed & cleaned
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano, dried and crumbled
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Cut each Shrimp along vein, lay out flat (Butterfly fashion).
- Beat egg, add milk, flour and all the seasoning until smooth. Dip each Shrimp in batter, coat with shredded coconut.
- Let stand for 30 minutes. Heat vegetable oil, deep fry shrimps in vegetable oil until brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper to remove excess oil, Serve hot.
5 ..OMG, so awesome. Coconut is not one of my favorite ingredients but I thought this would be a good combination with shrimp. The shrimp were slices of heaven! The oregano didn't add much to the dish. I am not sure if I would increase it. I didn't think the coconut was overpowering either. I put the shrimp in the frig for 25 minutes then took out five minutes before frying. I dipped the shrimp in some apricot preserves with some red chili flakes. Maybe a remoulade sauce might work as well. ZWT7 for Dracula and His Hot Bites.