Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
you can use drained canned italian plum tomatoes. get creative with the filling. use bell pepper, mushrooms, and leftover meats, etc... the calzones can be filled with almost anything.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (18 g)
- 4 teaspoons sugar (20 g)
- 3 -4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg
- 3 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (500 g)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (8 g)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded (340 g)
- 2 cups tomatoes (chopped, seeded, peeled)
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- for the DOUGH: stir the yeast and sugar into 3 T warm water and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and egg.
- Mix flour and salt and make a mound of it in a large bowl (or if you're daring, on a well floured surface) and make a large well in the center.
- gradually pour the dissolved yeast mixture into the well, working the flour from the inside of the well into the liquid with your fingers.
- Continue until the flour is absorbed, adding 1 T of water if needed.
- Knead until soft, velvety, strong, and elastic 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 2 hrs.
- Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 6-8 pieces (about 4 oz, 110 g each).
- Shape each piece into a ball, flatten each ball with your hand, and roll it with a rolling pin to a 1/4-inch thick oval.
- for the TOPPING: Warm the garlic in the oil in a small, heavy skillet over low heat 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place 1 1/2 to 2 oz (1/3 c) of the mozzarella and about 1/3 c chopped tomato in the center of each dough oval.
- Sprinkle with a little parmesan, basil, and salt to taste.
- Mix the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Brush the egg wash on the edge of each oval and let rest 10 minutes covered by a towel.
- fold each oval in half and press the edges together w/your fingertips.
- brush the tops with the garlic infused olive oil place the calzoni on an oiled baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450F Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- brush again with garlic infused oil and serve hot.