Recipe by khah
you can use drained canned italian plum tomatoes. get creative with the filling. use bell pepper, mushrooms, and leftover meats, etc... the calzones can be filled with almost anything.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (18 g)
- 4 teaspoons sugar (20 g)
- 3 -4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg
- 3 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (500 g)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (8 g)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded (340 g)
- 2 cups tomatoes (chopped, seeded, peeled)
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- for the DOUGH: stir the yeast and sugar into 3 T warm water and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and egg.
- Mix flour and salt and make a mound of it in a large bowl (or if you're daring, on a well floured surface) and make a large well in the center.
- gradually pour the dissolved yeast mixture into the well, working the flour from the inside of the well into the liquid with your fingers.
- Continue until the flour is absorbed, adding 1 T of water if needed.
- Knead until soft, velvety, strong, and elastic 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 2 hrs.
- Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 6-8 pieces (about 4 oz, 110 g each).
- Shape each piece into a ball, flatten each ball with your hand, and roll it with a rolling pin to a 1/4-inch thick oval.
- for the TOPPING: Warm the garlic in the oil in a small, heavy skillet over low heat 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place 1 1/2 to 2 oz (1/3 c) of the mozzarella and about 1/3 c chopped tomato in the center of each dough oval.
- Sprinkle with a little parmesan, basil, and salt to taste.
- Mix the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Brush the egg wash on the edge of each oval and let rest 10 minutes covered by a towel.
- fold each oval in half and press the edges together w/your fingertips.
- brush the tops with the garlic infused olive oil place the calzoni on an oiled baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450F Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- brush again with garlic infused oil and serve hot.