Recipe by LMillerRN
Pasta Sauce Recipe takes 2 hours to cook. If in a hurry use bottled pasta sauce. From Southern Living.
Top Review by Charmie777
This was soooooo good!!!! Here's how I made them....I made 6 calzones instead of 4, and I used jarred pasta sauce. I brushed the top with an eggwash. I will sooo make these again!!!!
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni slices, chopped
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cansrefrigerated prepared pizza crust
- 2 cups pasta sauce, thawed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together first 5 ingredients until blended. Stir in pepperoni and chopped cheese slices.
- Divide each pizza crust into 2 portions. Roll each dough portion into a 7-inch circle.
- Spoon 1/2 cup cottage cheese mixture in center of each circle. Fold dough over filling, pressing edges to seal; place on a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Prick dough several times with a fork.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve calzones with warm Pasta Sauce.
- * Chopped cooked ham may be substituted for pepperoni slices.
- Pasta Sauce:.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 2 hours. Divide into recipe portions; and freeze remaining portions.