Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a good meatless calzone Cannellini beans and provolone cheese are the base for this meatless "sandwich," with spinach & olives baked inside folded pizza dough.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (13 7/8 ounce) cansrefrigerated pizza dough or 2 (13 7/8 ounce) cansfavorite recipe pizza dough
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place beans, garlic, lemon juice, salt, fennel seeds, rosemary, pepper and olive oil in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Grease or spray 1 large or 2 small cookie sheets. Unroll pizza dough on a lightly floured work surface and press each into a 12 inch square.
- Cut each into 4, 6-inch squares.
- Combine spinach, provolone and olives.
- Spread bean mixture over half of each dough square, dividing evenly, and then top with spinach mixture.
- Fold other half of dough over filling, stretching slightly to fit. Press edges with fork to seal well. Cut a slit in top of each and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
A nice tasty meatless meal ~ I made homemade whole wheat pizza dough and divided it into 4 large calzones and baked them at 400F for 20 minutes. I used red kidney beans instead of the cannellini (white kidney) beans and added 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 2 ounces feta cheese to the spinach/bean mixture. Made for my Spring PAC 2010 adopted chef ~