Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Easy and delicious calzones
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup Anjou pear, vegetable of choice (or combination of vegetables)
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Add yeast, warm water, oil, sugar, and salt into large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup of flour, mix until smooth, and add another 1.5 cups of flour about 1/2 cup at a time and mix until smooth without lumps.
- Flour a clean surface and dust hands with flour.
- Knead dough on clean surface for about 5 minutes or until elastic. Keep flipping dough onto well floured surface, do not press into surface or it will stick.
- Pour 1 tsp olive oil into bowl and swish around, put dough back into bowl, then flip making sure to get oil over all the dough's surface.
- Cover bowl with saran wrap and let rise for 40 minutes.
- While dough is rising, combine ricotta cheese, shredded cheese, pepperoni, vegetables, and basil leaves in medium mixing bowl. Mix well and put into refrigerator until dough is done.
- Beat an egg until it is a consistent mixture.
- With 10 minutes left before dough is ready, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- When dough is ready, flour hands and surface again, separate into 2 or 3 pieces, knead in your hands regularly placing on floured surface to re-coat with flour (careful not to overdo the flour, or it will not be moist enough).
- Spread into a rough circle on floured surface and fill with filling mixture, then fold over and put into aluminum foil covered baking sheet. Repeat for remaining dough.
- Brush the top of each calzone with the beaten egg, making sure to cover entire surface.
- Optionally add parsley and shredded parmesan over the top of each calzone as garnish,.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until medium brown all over.
- Serve with marinara sauce.