Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A lean way to eat pizza.
- 12 ounces flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 packet instant yeast
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ounces cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- I made a bread dough with 8 oz wholemeal flour and 4 oz malted flour, a large pinch of salt, a teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 a sachet of instant yeast.
- I made it in the food processor, using the dough hooks, and added just enough warm water until it came together in a ball.
- Kneaded it, partly by machine and partly by hand, until it was smooth and no longer sticky, then put it in a clean bowl, covered with a plate, in the airing cupboard for about an hour.
- Incidentally, I've never felt the need to coat it with oil- it stays moist enough.
- While it was rising, I made the filling of an onion, chopped, 2 cloves of garlic, crushed, 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped, a red.
- (bell) pepper, peeled and chopped, 2-3 oz cheese (I didn't weigh it; just a"nice amount"), grated.
- Mixed all together in a bowl and seasoned with salt, freshly ground black pepper, lemon juice.
- (about 1/2- 1 tablespoonful, didn't measure!), Worcester sauce, paprika and cayenne pepper (Not a lot, Curtis; you can add some more!).
- Rescued the dough, knocked it down, divided it into three.
- Rolled it out very thin on floured surface, roughly circular, piled 1/3 of the filling on each"circle", brushed edges with water, sealed, and placed on greased baking-sheet.
- Baked at gas mark 7 (425 F).
- for 20 minutes.
- Served with green salad.
- The family wants this again very often, so they tell me!