Recipe by Annacia
If you are a pizza fan you'll love this! It's mega popular with the teen set I can tell you. Prep does not include making the dough.
- 1 deep-dish pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon oil, from sun-dried tomato
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 lb sliced salami or 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, cut into strips
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- cornmeal (for baking sheet)
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare 1 recipe pizza dough (I use'd the dough cycle on the bread machine) and let it rise.
- While Dough Rises, Prepare Filling:.
- In a medium frying pan heat tomato oil over moderate heat, add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned.
- Mix in garlic, then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese with dried tomatoes and parsley.
- Stir in cooked onion mixture.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Roll each half out on a floured surface to a 12-inch circle.
- Spread half of the ricotta filling over half of each circle of dough, leaving about a 1/2-inch margin.
- Sprinkle half of each circle with half of the meat strips and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Fold circles in halves over filling, moistening and pinching edges together (or pressing with tines of a fork) to seal.
- Preheat oven to 450~ F.
- Sprinkle a large, greased baking sheet lightly with cornmeal.
- Place calzones well apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Let rise until puffy (12 to 15 minutes).
- Bake to a deep golden color (about 20 mins).
- Brush tops lightly with olive oil, then serve hot.