Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Terrific pizza dough recipe, and excellent calzones to make from it. Not my recipe.
Make and share this Calzone Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- olive oil
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 11 ounces spinach leaves (optional)
- 2 cups chopped ham (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella cheese or 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 7 cups white flour
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- Blend all dry dough ingredients in a mixer with dough hook.
- Blend all liquid ingredients with the yeast and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add wet to dry ingredients, and mix with dough hook approx 5 minutes until dough is smooth and springy.
- Place dough in covered greased bowl, and let rest 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Heat oven and pizza stone to 450 to 500 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll each out on a floured surface.
- Continue rolling until size of a silver dollar, and 12 inches across.
- Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil into a hot frying pan. Add the mushrooms and toss briefly in the hot oil before adding the sliced garlic and the thyme. Fry until the mushrooms are cooked. Add butter and toss the mushrooms. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan and stir. Cook for a few minutes, then add the spinach and stir again. Simmer away the liquid until you're left with a mixture that's not too moist.
- Allow mushroom mixture to cool before using.
- Divide the mushroom and spinach mixture evenly between the 4 pizza bases.
- Top with cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Lift the far edge of the pizza dough to fold in half.
- Seal edges so none of the filling can spill out.
- Cook on pizza stone for 15 minutes.