Recipe by Dib's
I love these. If you wish replace meats listed with a nice danish ham and some sauted mushrooms. The Bruchetta is an option.
Top Review by rbroh
i substituted calabrese salami for the capacola ham, and added about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce to the ricotta mixture as i wanted to add a little "traditional pizza" flavour. was very delicious. This recipe actually made enough for 5 really filling calzones.
- 1 recipe pizza dough (see search)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 cup slivered sun-dried tomato, packed in oil (or not if you have regular dried ones on hand)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 lb capacola ham, hot or mild,cut into thin strips
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (, at this point go for the good stuff!)
- olive oil (for brushing tops)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dough.
- In a small skillet heat the 1 Tbsp olive oil and saute the onion and garlic.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- In a medium bowl mix together the ricotta and tomatoes.
- Add the onion mixture and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each out into 10 to 12 inch rounds.
- Spread even amounts of the ricotta mixture on 1/2 of each dough ruond, leaving 1/2 inch edge.
- Divide meats equally among the round and place on top of ricotta, top with mozzarella.
- Fold the plain side over top of calzone and press down lightly to remove some of the air.
- Moisten the edges with water and crimp or seal with a fork (do a good job sealing or your going to have a cheesy mess).
- Sprinkle greased baking sheet with cornmeal and place calzones carefully and not touching-leaving some room in between for rising in the oven.
- Oil the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Place in a preheated 400 to 450 degree oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tops and parmesan cheese turn golden brown.
- Serve hot with a fresh Bruschetta.