You can create your own fillings for this very easy calzone. I don't use the pepperoni, but substitute cooked, chopped spinach. You can also add sauteed onions and peppers, olives, ricotta cheese...etc. I have also made small individual calzones to dip in Marinara Sauce...heaven! Kids love these.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon powdered milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 4 ounces pepperoni, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place water, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder, bread flour, dry milk, sugar, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Select Dough cycle.
- After cycle ends, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface, shaping into a 16 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Transfer to a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together chopped pepperoni and mozzarella.
- Spoon pizza sauce in a stripe down the center of dough lengthwise; add sausage and cheese filling.
- Make diagonal cuts 1 1/2 inches apart down each side, cutting within a 1/2 inch of the filling.
- Criss cross strips over filling, sealing with water.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- You can just fold over the sides without cutting the strips to make this process easier.
- It will taste just as good, but not look as nice.
- Be sure to seal the edges well.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes.
I made this last night for supper for the family last night. My family loved it. Since I don't have a bread machine I mixed the dough and let the dough raise in a bowl covered with a cloth and then punched it down and let it raise the second time. I followed the rest of the recipe. It was delicious.
This is a wonderful recipe.It was easy to prepare with fantastic results.I added capicoli and pepperoni along with sauteed onions and garlic. My family loved it and asked to make it a regular menu item. My 5 yr old daughter's response was " I'm gonna make this for my kids when I grow up yumm" Thank you for a great recipe!!!