Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Use what ever you want in the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 lb chicken sausage, spicey
- 1⁄2 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 3⁄4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) box phyllo dough (18 sheets)
- 1 (16 ounce) can olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a nonstick 10-inch saucepan. Add crushed garlic and saute until just soft, about 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper flakes and saute for 1 more minute. Add the plum tomatoes and simmer over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and add basil (adding the basil after the cooking will keep the basil flavor fresh).
- Remove casings from sausage and discard. Cook sausage over medium-high heat in a nonstick 10-inch saute pan, stirring to break the sausage into small pieces. Continue to saute until completely cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain and discard any grease and liquid remaining in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix sausage, bacon and mozzarella until well blended. Add 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce and stir to blend. Divide the filling into 4 portions.
- Spread 1 sheet phyllo dough on a clean work surface. Spray once lightly with the olive oil cooking spray and then lightly sprinkle with salt and dried Italian seasoning. Top with another sheet of dough. Repeat the spray, seasoning, and layering process 2 more times for a total of 3 sheets.
- Place 1/4 of sausage mixture (1 portion) onto the lower left hand corner of the prepared sheets. From the lower left corner, fold that corner over to form a triangle and gently press the top sheet to form an outline around the sausage mixture. There will be a 1/2-inch boarder left at the top. Take that 1/2-inch boarder and fold it back towards yourself. Then take the upper left corner and fold the entire sausage packet to the right, which should cause the entire sausage package to be encased in the phyllo. The lower right side will still need to be incorporated. To complete, fold the sausage packet over the remaining phyllo. Do not crimp the edges. Repeat process 3 more times.
- Set a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and then spray the rack lightly once with the olive oil cooking spray. Place the triangular packets on the wire rack. With a paring knife, make a single 1/2-inch slit in the top of each of the packets. Lightly spray each packet once with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let set for 5 minutes and serve with the remaining warm tomato sauce.