Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
An easy concoction that I made to give barbequed meats a bit of a spicy kick! With all the elements of the Caribbean - Dark Rum, Barbados Brown Sugar, Tropical Pineapple Juice and Fresh Ginger. This will make enough marinade/glaze for about 6 pork chops or pork steaks, 6 chicken breasts etc. Reserve a little of the marinade/glaze to dribble over the cooked meats just before serving. (NOT the marinade/glaze that the meat has been soaking in - as it will contain raw meat juices!)
- 2 inches fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, such as Muscovado
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 lime, juice and zest of, grated
- Mix all the ingredients together, store in a clean bottle or jam jar and allow to blend for at least 24 hours.
- Marinade your choice of meat or poultry in the marinade/glaze for at least 4 hours - but preferably 24 hours.
- Cook over a barbeque basting well - and reserve a little of the marinade/glaze to dribble over the top of the cooked meat/poultry.
- (NOT the marinade/glaze that the meat has been soaking in - as it will contain raw meat juices!).
The flavours were really interesting, but I found the sauce was quite thin and didn't soak into the meat, even though I pierced it and let it sit for 24 h. It could also be because I didn't barbecue the meat, I broiled it (pork chops). I'll still save this recipe though, because it tasted so good, and try it again when I have a barbecue, or maybe on chicken instead.
Wonderful! This recipe has the perfect blend of tropical flavor - sweet and slightly spicy. We used chicken breasts and marinated them for about 6 hours. The were moist, tender and flavorful. We'll enjoy this again - Thanks French Tart. Made for Ali Baba's Babes, ZWT5.
Very good but why not-it has wonderful ingredients! I marinated the chops 24 hours and dribbled fresh marinade over the grilled chops. Thanks for sharing another winner French Tart. Made for NEWEST ZAAR TAG, 08A