Recipe by docholliday
Colorful Caribbean vegetable paella side dish adapted from a National Honey Board Recipe Side dish to Caribbean Honey-Spiced Amberjack with Mango Salsa
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
I like risottos and paellas, I found this a very good vegetarian one. I wasn't quite sure what summer squash was, so I used butternut, which I always find goes well in this kind of dish. I used the greens, and added sliced zucchini .. more squash, and more green :) The honey and tabasco, so unusual, so delicious, really makes this dish! We dont get a saffron rice mixture here (or not that I've found), so I simply used normal rice and added some saffron threads. I also used vegetarian stock rather than chicken broth. I found this dish to be packed with flavour and pleasing to the eye, we had it as a main meal and it easily makes 4 main servings. Lovely recipe, thanks docholliday, made for PAC Spring 2012
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups saffron rice mix
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 4 cups mustard greens, finely chopped
- 2 cups summer squash, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped f
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan with tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir 3 minutes or until rice be-gins to brown.
- Add honey, garlic, salt and thyme; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth, Tabasco, greens, squash and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cover and re-duce heat to low.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.