Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I can't remember were I originally got this recipe, but it has been a favorite around here for a long time. The flavours blend very well together and it is very filling.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped (3)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb chickpeas, canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb red kidney beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- In a large, non-stick skillet, combine pineapple, onion, garlic, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 15 minutes or until mixture becomes brown and onion starts to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook 30 minutes. Stir several times while cooking.
- Serve over brown rice, or cooked grain of your choice.
I liked the sweet pineapple in this bean dish and preferred a bit more cayenne. I wanted more sauce and found coconut milk to be an excellent addition.
This is a great recipe! I actually found it on another site and was going to add it here - but found it's already here. I made it exactly according to the recipe and wouldn't change a thing. Delicious and very very healthy.
Awesome! Instead of fresh tomatoes I used a can of diced tomatoes. My husband doesn't like chickpeas so I used a blend of pinto, kidney, and black beans instead. It was so delicious! It made great left-overs too! Great recipe!