Recipe by BecR
Calypso Island Chicken is highlighted by key seasonings of the West Indies: tomatoes and red peppers. West Indians often make a condiment out of hot peppers by steeping diced ones in vinegar. Tabasco sauce is the closest equivalent readily available in America and is used in this recipe. The dish also includes plantain, a cousin of the banana that is larger and not as sweet. Plantains must be cooked before eating, and only ripe fruit will have the proper texture for this dish. To select a ripe plantain, choose a finger that is deep yellow and speckled with black or one that is entirely black. If a green plantain is purchased, it may take several weeks to ripen at room temperature. Do not refrigerate the fruit, for this will halt ripening. From the newspaper.
Top Review by Felix4067
I had no idea what to expect, but this was so good I couldn't stop eating it! The only change I made was to use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cilantro because I really don't like it but understand it does need to be there for background flavour. I served it over brown rice. What a fabulous introduction to plantains!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large ripe plantain, cut in 3/4-inch pieces (OR 2 large green-tipped bananas( add bananas after chicken has been removed from skillet)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, heat oil; brown chicken on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In same skillet saute onion, plantain and garlic until golden, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, cilantro, cumin, salt and Tabasco sauce; mix well. Bring to a boil; simmer 3 minutes. Add chicken and baste with the tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken and plantain are tender.
- Remove chicken to serving platter. Spoon skillet ingredients over chicken.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
- Makes 4 servings.