Recipe by ranch-girl
Island flavors in an easy and healthy casserole. You can just hear the steel drums play...
Top Review by Fischcakes
This casserole was an absolute delight. The colours were beautiful, and I thoroughly enjoyed all the interesting flavours. WOW is right! I sauted my red pepper with the garlic and half an onion before it went into the casserole dish. So easy to make, and I appreciated the healthy low-fat aspect (I omitted the oil at the end as I used some to saute). The squeeze of lime is magic and all on a bed of brown rice. Thank you, ranch-girl, for posting. I will be making this again and again.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced sweet pepper (red, green, yellow, or a combination)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked black beans, drained (about 1 can, red beans work too)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 15 ounces pineapple tidbits, drained, reserve juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice (from reserved)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger or 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (or extra virgin olive will work too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken, peppers, beans, corn and pineapple in 2 quart glass casserole dish.
- Dissolve cornstarch in pineapple juice and stir it in along with remaining ingredients except lime and coconut oil.
- bake at 350 for 30 - 40 min until chicken is done.
- stir in coconut oil.
- serve with lime wedges, or add fresh squeezed lime juice before serving.