1/1 Photo of Calypso Butternut Squash Soup
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe was developed for RSC. The "heat" is controlled by the amount of peppers you use. Please, remember to remove the peppers from the mix before blending. The habanero chile is the most intensely spicy chile pepper of the Capsicum genus and is used for flavor only.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 green plantains
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 habanero pepper
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 -6 cups chicken stock
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- squash seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 mango, peeled, diced
- 1Cut open squash; scoop out fibers and seeds, reserving seeds. Cut squash to fit a microwave safe dish, place in dish and microwave for 5 minutes on high, turn and microwave 5 minutes more. The squash should be fork tender, if not microwave a few more minutes until squash is tender and skin can be peeled away easily. When cool enough to handle peel the skin using a paring knife and cut into large chunks.
- 2Cut the ends off the plantains, cut into thirds and place in medium saucepan; cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Place the plantains under cold, running water to cool. When cool enough to handle, make a slit in the skin and slip off the skin.
- 3In a large stock pot, add the sliced onion, sprinkle with sugar and cook stirring frequently until onion begins to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4Make a slit in the pepper(s); for medium heat use 1 pepper for a warmer soup use 2, with a sharp knife and add to the onions along with the peeled squash, plantains, tomatoes, chicken stock and ginger root; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 5Remove the Habanero pepper(s) and process in small batches in blender or food processor.
- 6Return puree to pan; stir in oregano and sage. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and heat until steaming; ladle into bowls and top with diced mango and toasted seeds.
- 7To toast the seeds: Rinse the seeds under running water and drain on a paper towel. Melt the butter and mix in the salt and cayenne pepper. Place the seeds on a small baking sheet, drizzle with butter mixture and bake in a 300 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes; set aside.
Browse Our Top Caribbean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calypso Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.2
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 452.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: