Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Orange and allspice makes this liver succulent and full of taste. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and green peas.
- 3 large oranges
- 113.39 g butter
- 6 slice calf liver (cut 1/2 inch thick on a slant)
- ground allspice
- Working over a large plate or bowl to catch the juice, remove the peel and pith from 2 of the oranges with a sharp knife, cutting down to the pulp in one operation.
- Cut out each section from between the membrane and set aside.
- Reserve the juice and add it to the juice of the third orange.
- Strain and set aside Heat a large cast iron frying pan,dry, over a medium low heat for a few moments Add 3 oz butter and as soon as it starts to foam add the slices of liver, reduce the heat to minimum and cook very gently for no more than 2 minutes on each side, do not overcook, it must remain soft with no outer crust, and pink inside.
- Liver continues cooking by its own heat when removed from the pan.
- Arrange on a heated serving dish and keep hot covered with a plate.
- Increase the heat to medium, deglaze the pan with the orange juice, incorporating the meat residue by scraping it up with a fork, season with salt and allspice, allow to bubble, then add the orange sections.
- Tip the pan back and forth allowing the hot juice to flow over the fruit, do this quickly.
- Remove the sections with a fork and place them around the meat.
- Remove the pan from the heat, whisk in the remaining 1 oz of butter, cut into small pieces and pour over the liver.
- Serve right away with small new potatoes, parselied and buttered or with garlic mashed potatoes and green peas.
I made this last night for my husband and he loved it!! I did taste the sauce and the combination of the allspice with the orange is wonderful. Followed the recipe exactly and according to my husband the liver was succulent and I was told to make it again!!
We had not had this for a while but we did last night and I just want to tell you, Try it, You'll like it!!!! The Orange and Allspice with the liver make a great taste combination.