Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The "Secret Ingredient" here is Mexican Chocolate! This spice blend is a staple in my professional kitchen. Note: this recipe does not include salt! I am a hospital chef -- it is important that I regulate the amount of sodium that I put in my dishes! Traditional processed foods generally contain way too much salt!
- 1 cup california chili powder
- 1 cup new mexico chile powder
- 1 cup ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup dry Mexican oregano
- 1⁄3 cup garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup onion powder
- 2 tablespoons mexican cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Cal's Mexican Seasoning blend is not intended to be spicy hot. Add cayenne to increase the temperature as desired.
- You can store this seasoning blend in a dry, sealed container for up to three months, in the freezer for up to a year.
I wanted to try this mix as I have not added coco to a Mexican mix before but it seems reasonable for it to be there. I made it this morning but haven't had a chance to try it in a recipe yet but I mixed some with a bit of butter and used it on a tortilla wrapping some smoked ham and it was great. The coco added something rather earthy and a new layer of flavor to the standard Mexican blend, I'm looking forward to trying it in some chili. Making .1% of the recipe just about filled my spice jar to brimming. Made for Pick A Chef, Spring 2013.