Recipe by Random Rachel
A refreshing yogurt based drink that is popular in Japan. Not exactly the same as the real stuff, but very close, and the ingredients are common. If you couldn't find citric acid, but Fruit Fresh is mostly citric acid, and it works fine for this recipe. The syrup will keep in the fridge for at least a few months, if not longer.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fruit fresh (citric acid)
Calpis or Calpico
- 1⁄4 cup calpis syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup ice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yogurt and sugar in a small saucepan. Place over low heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved, 3-4 minutes. (Do not boil.).
- Remove from heat, and stir in citric acid.
- Store syrup in refrigerator (I use a mason jar.).
- Pour water into 2+ cup pyrex measuring cup. Add ice, and stir to chill. Stir in syrup, and pour into glass. Enjoy!
- You can multiply the serving size up to make a pitcher full if you like. Some people prefer more or less syrup, so make a single serving to decide how strong you like it.