From Skinny Taste this is a delicious way to use summer's bounty of tomatoes. The recipe calls for the tomatoes to be peeled but since I had lots of smaller tomatoes, I left the skin on and pulsed them in the food processor before adding them to the cooked onion mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 30 ounces fresh plum tomatoes, peeled
- 32 ounces fat free chicken broth, vegetarians use vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving (optional)
- 1To peel the tomatoes, boil a large pot of water. When boiling, drop the tomatoes in the water to blanch one minute, or until the skin cracks. Quickly remove from the water, let it cool a few minutes and the skin will come right off.
- 2Chop onions, carrots, celery and garlic using a mini food processor or chopper. Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add butter until melted, then add chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook stirring often until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add chicken broth and tomatoes, stirring well.
- 3Using a string or a rubber band, tie herbs together and drop into the soup. This will make it easy to remove later. Add salt and fresh pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove herbs and discard, add sour cream and blend with a hand blender until smooth. (A regular blender would work, but be sure to let the soup cool before blending and fill only halfway in the blender so it doesn't explode on you).
- 5Ladle into bowls and top with freshly grated cheese and fresh basil.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calorie Stingy Tomano Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.1
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 998.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 4.3 g