Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found online and submitted for ZWT5
- 2 lbs fresh crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 scallions, including the green tops, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (crumbled, or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄2 lb thick slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 lb fresh spinach (or callaloo greens, cleaned with stems removed)
- 1 lb okra, topped, tailed, and cut into rounds
- 7 cups water (or stock)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 fresh chili pepper, Pricked with a fork
- 3 limes, juice of
- Brown the crab meat in the oil with the scallions, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and the crumbled thyme.
- In a stockpot, brown the diced bacon. Wilt the spinach in the rendered bacon fat.
- Add the okra, cover with the water or stock, and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. When done, add the crab meat, remaining garlic, and chili that has been pricked with a fork.
- Continue to cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When done, add the lime juice, whisk it through thoroughly, and serve hot.