Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes! Straight out of the west indies, it turned me into a spinach lover and it is easy to make. I hope you enjoy
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 cups okra
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper
- 1 large onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 8 -13 ounces coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 1 lemon
- Wash and stem spinach and rip or chop leaves into medium sized pieces. Wash okra de-stem and chop into smaller chunks. Mince up your onion, garlic, hot pepper and sweet pepper.
- Heat a medium sized pot on med-high add in some oil.
- When oil is hot add in onion and cook until it starts to become translucent, now add in your garlic and chili, cook until a golden brown.
- Add in your coconut milk starting with half a can and stir everything together.
- Add in your spinach, okra and sweet pepper. Turn down heat and mix well letting the spinach welt. Add more coconut milk if needed, you want to keep the coconut milk just below the food line.
- Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until the okra and spinach are soft, and mash easily.
- Remove from heat and blend or mash everything together.
- Return to heat on low and add salt as needed.
- Serve on rice with lemon wedges and enjoy!
- It makes a great side dish or a meal on it's own.
I had all the ingredients so I made this for lunch. Sounded good but a bit unusual with the coconut milk so I only made half the recipe and did use the optional hot pepper. It's quick to make and had a good flavor (after squeezing in fresh lemon juice), but the texture after blending really put me off. Mine turned out slimy, the way okra tends to do. It might be better to use a potato masher rather than a blender. I didn't totally puree mine, actually it looked just like your picture. Not wanting to waste good ingredients I did have this for lunch but it's not something I would fix again. I give this 3 stars because it is what I would consider to be a healthy dish but definitely for someone with the appreciation for such health benefits.
I made this last week and came back to post a review, This was a very good recipe, I love soups and wanted to try something different ...this is excellent, thanks for sharing!