1/1 Photo of Callaloo (Creamy Spinach and Okra)
This is one of my favorite recipes! Straight out of the west indies, it turned me into a spinach lover and it is easy to make. I hope you enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and stem spinach and rip or chop leaves into medium sized pieces. Wash okra de-stem and chop into smaller chunks. Mince up your onion, garlic, hot pepper and sweet pepper.
- 2Heat a medium sized pot on med-high add in some oil.
- 3When oil is hot add in onion and cook until it starts to become translucent, now add in your garlic and chili, cook until a golden brown.
- 4Add in your coconut milk starting with half a can and stir everything together.
- 5Add in your spinach, okra and sweet pepper. Turn down heat and mix well letting the spinach welt. Add more coconut milk if needed, you want to keep the coconut milk just below the food line.
- 6Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until the okra and spinach are soft, and mash easily.
- 7Remove from heat and blend or mash everything together.
- 8Return to heat on low and add salt as needed.
- 9Serve on rice with lemon wedges and enjoy!
- 10It makes a great side dish or a meal on it's own.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Callaloo (Creamy Spinach and Okra)
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.8
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1371.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 12.3 g